Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Last Post!

Hi friends and followers,

2012 has started and that, thankfully means that my blog and artists log has come to an end.  When I started out the plan was to record all my unpaid/volunteer hours working in the arts for a full year and that's what I did.  As you can see, I'm not big on posting.  I really tried but I didn't want the log to become another "job" to do.

The final tally as of December 31, 2011 was 767 hours.  Or 21.9 work weeks (based on a 35 hrs week). Or
a $15, 340.00 donation (based on $20 an hour...which is minimum for me after 20 yrs of experience) to the community.

I did a final interview on CBC Radio in St. John's with Roger Samson and we talked a lot about the experience through the year.  He asked me what I'd discovered and truthfully, I realized that if I'm working that much pro bono, as well as making a living, I must really be neglecting my home life.

So, no log for me this year.  And for Christmas I gave my sweetheart a package of playing cards that he can redeem for an evening with me, at his discretion.  I gave my son a guarantee that we would watch at least one movie together a month.  That doesn't mean I'm cutting back on work, but I am going to put the  logging/blogging time to another use!

Thanks for your support and let me know if you logged.  I'd love to hear how it went.

Once February hits, I plan to disseminate my log a little and maybe compose a few letters to arts organizations and funders to let them know what came of it.

All the best in 2012
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment